Icy Weather Dressing

Is it just me, or is stylish yet comfortable (and warm) Winter dressing near impossible? Whenever the cool winds of Autumn start to kick in, I get so excited about the opportunities to layer, wear great hats and cozy coats and kick about in the snow. Then when the actual snow arrives, I am less than thrilled. Being a Canadian girl, I get the iciest, gustiest, blowiest and snowiest of Winters thrown at me. While I'd love to run about looking stylish, peering out the window leaves me a) wanting to curl up in a blanket or b) wear five sweaters, three pairs of tights, an Arctic-appropriate parka and maybe even a balaclava to keep the wind from whipping my face.

So, what's a girl to do? People always say that fashion requires some necessary suffering, but I'm not a believer in that idea. I think it's possible to look fabulous and still feel comfortable and happy (in fact, if you're uncomfortable, it definitely detracts from your overall look). It's February now, and the sun has started coming out, the Winter weather is turning mild - but I want to know, how do you fend off the cold weather blues?

Are we all destined to stomp around in insulated boots and fur-lined jacket, our faces scrunched up and red from the air? Not exactly the cutest look.





I like this outfit from Hel-Looks. The flat boots (a must-have for walking on icy streets), warm mittens, chunky scarf and layering make this look super cozy - and the girl donning it looks happy too. Throw on a hat and I'd say this is a complete look.


Maybe I'm just bitter because I don't have a decent winter coat. Since November I've been wearing cast-off peacoats and parkas from season's past. A good winter coat is, like a good man, hard to find, and rarely inexpensive. Why I don't just invest in one, I'm not sure (you wear the dang thing a good four-plus months of the year) ... maybe I'm not looking hard enough!



I'm always incredibly jealous at other people's (re: my sister's) ability to find amazing vintage (and warm) winter coats. I consider myself quite a thrifting savant but I've only ever found lovely fur jackets (and as warm as they are, I'm wary of paint-throwing protesters wherever I go).


In summary ... I'm ready for Summer. And I want to know how you keep warm (and cool!) in the Winter months. Show me fabulously toasty outfits. Or let's just discuss how wonderful it will be to prance around in sandals and sundresses ... ahhhhhh.

[ Photo courtesy of My Vintage Vogue ]

Post a Comment

0 Comments