Halloween!

Before I set off on the great task of sharing the details of my New York City trip, I'll make a quick post about Halloween.

I love Halloween. I am not the kind of girl who buys a cheap polyester "sexy cop/nurse/nun/angel/elephant/shoe" costume from a bag and then calls it a day. I like to put my ensembles together myself and I like a bit of gore. Halloween isn't about looking outrageously attractive. In my book, it's about being a total creep!

My costume was Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby (post-birth of the Spawn-of-You-Know-Who). I had a lot of fun putting this costume together. It was super-easy and cheap, considering I already owned most of the items for it. I'd wanted to be Rosemary last year, but I had a horrible flu and didn't do a single thing for Halloween. I'm glad I got to make up for it in 2009.

Costume inspiration.


Vintage 60's babydoll nightdress and bedjacket; the doll was from thrift store ($1.99), I added some black nail polish to the eyes and mouth to make it a bit more demonic, and wrapped it in a blanket my grandmother had knit when I was a baby. The wig was from a Halloween store and I cut and coloured it myself. It would have looked better if I could have cut it a bit shorter, and added a wave to it. But a) any shorter and you'd see my black hair underneath, and b) you can't use a hot curling iron on plastic hair!


It was chilly out so I wore my vintage fur-trimmed pink wool coat.


My sister and I. She went as some sort of 80's fitness superstar.


Resting with my baby!



Some costumes I saw during the night. Can you guess who they are? Clockwise from top: Inspector Gadget, inspecting my baby; Edward Cullen from "Twilight" (he even sparkled); and the Scientist and Beaker from Muppets.

How was everyone else's Halloween? What did you dress up as? Show me pictures!

xo Hannah


Post a Comment

0 Comments