(500) DAYS OF BUMMING ME OUT



It's Day (7)

So I saw (500) Days of Summer last Monday, and I'm just now getting around to licking my wounds and being able to discuss it. "Wound-licking?" you ask? "How could an adorable independent movie starring wide-eyed Zooey Deschanel and a soundtrack speckled with Regina Spektor and Simon and Garfunkel lead to upsetting Hannah?"
Well, I wondered the same thing.

The trailer tells you, right from the beginning, "this is not a love story." And it's not. Maybe a one-sided love-story, from Tom's (Joseph Gordon Levitt) perspective, but certainly not Summer's (Deschanel). The premise: Boy falls for girl of his dreams, who just wants to be friends and occasionally get a little frisky. Girl leaves boy, boy falls apart. Boy tries to win girl back, boy FAILS. Not standard romantic comedy fare. I suppose, without giving away any spoilers, there's a happy ending, but I wasn't feeling happy in the end.

(500) Days is an extremely poignant, heartbreaking look at unrequited love and despite the beautiful filmmaking, smattering of great comedic moments, and Summer's gorgeous wardrobe - it really upset me. It hit me like a punch in the stomach, and for days 1-7, all I could think about is how truly sad this movie is.

Am I boycotting it? Not by any means. I would highly recommend running to your theatre right this second and watching it (with a cup of frozen yogurt in your lap, if you want to get my full experience [I had vanilla with raspberries blended in ... just so you know]). Maybe what I'm boycotting is the misleading business of movie trailers ... or my own easily hurt feelings. Why am I so deeply affected by fiction?! This must be remedied!

Well, I guess in closing I'm going to ask you what movies have affected you this way? Has any movie ever upset you, or made you so happy, changed you in the tiniest bit? Let me know.

I'm going to skulk back to my sofa now and try not to tear up whenever a commercial for (500) Days of Summer comes on ...

So darn cute together you two, shame it didn't work out!


Further viewing:



------------

I'd like to remind anyone entering the Chick Downtown contest, to please include your e-mail address IN THE COMMENT. Thanks!

Post a Comment

0 Comments